Update added by user Feb 02, 2012
Original review posted by user Mar 04, 2011
The typical U.S. consumer is not the smartest person on the planet; with average IQs that barely suffice in typical high schools, the average Joe is inevitably forced to indulge themselves into products that don't even function to its fullest capacity.
My name is Nick DeAngelis. I understand it isn't necessary for a product complaint, but I will give you my credentials for the purpose of having some sort of justification for my claims. I received my Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering while double majoring in Industrial Design at Carnegie Mellon University. I then pursued my Masters of Science at M.I.T and my Ph. D in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford University. I am now 28 years old living in New York City. What that means for me is that I have no time to even indulge myself into having a home cooked meal. Thus, when I saw this infomercial on TV, I thought that this oven would be a solution to my daily dose of unbearable fast food.
This was not the case. I will tell you for many reasons not to buy this product. Sure, the infomercial is very attractive and it plays with your mind by bringing on famous chefs and having him cook amazing dished from this product. However, let's start with how my over enunciate the fact that it is made by Sharper Image. First of all, Sharper Image went bankrupt in 2008. What this means is that you will essentially mean nothing to them once you buy the product. Specifically, they will have no customer service. You ask why? Well, they are in debt of over $200 million dollars and quite frankly, they could care less as soon as they receive your cash. I had this experience when I tried to get in touch with them to refund my product. They advertise that this oven is backed up with a company name that we, as the American public, can trust! Do we really have our trust in a company that simply stole a product and put their bankrupt name on it just to make a few extra bucks while going out?
Now that I've explained why Sharper Image is a brand that you simply should not invest any money into, I will move onto the product itself. Like I stated before, I am an engineer as well as an industrial designer. What this means is that I have the capabilities of created a product and then being able to tell if that product can function at its fullest. Let me ask the designers of this product. Who in their right mind would create an oven that forces you to put your arms down into a burning device? Why would you EVER design something like that? Just poor design in my opinion and quite frankly, I know I am smarter than the idiots that designed this product. I guess that is what happens when you have no money to invest into a product. Second, who makes a product like this out of glass? You state in the infomercial that a competitor makes their out of plastic? GOOD!! That's because glass is cheap as dirt and is NOT ECO- FRIENDLY as it is stated in the commercial. Glass is MUCH heavier and remains at a hotter temperature than the formulated plastic. Let's be smart people. When has a kitchen appliance EVER been made out of glass? Microwaves? Conventional ovens? NEVER! Why? Because it's not mechanically smart. Get me three engineers from Cooper Union or MIT and they can tell you that right off the top of their heads. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE INFOMERCIAL OF A CHEF SAYING THAT GLASS IS GOOD!! I specialize in this and I can tell you it is beyond incomprehensible that a mechanical engineer gave the green light to this product. Especially when they use stainless steel to make an extender ring. Thanks for the free ring!! Again why would anyone want to stick their arms into an oven that is burning at 400 degrees when the outer ring is METAL! Wow, I really am at a loss of words on how poorly crafted this Chinese artwork is.
Well given this, I supposed, well maybe if this oven creates delicious food and a fraction of the time, then maybe it's worth the handful of burns that it will give me. I cooked pizza the first night and it burnt to a crisp. The halogen light at the top only targets a circle with the diameter of around 5 inches. This was the only part that was burnt. It burnt a solid circle into the pizza and the bottom was still frozen at most parts. The instructions in the manual are horrible, but I figured that I had made a mistake. I was horribly wrong when I tried to cook a turkey that weekend. The same thing happened; the turkey burned on the top and the bottom didn't cook at all. This happened with every type of food that I tried. Also, the commercial makes clean up a breeze by showing how it is self cleaning. This idea is so farfetched that it amazes me how they could be so deceitful. It cleans nothing if you cook an actual meal and you will be forced to wash the heavy 20 lb. glass in the sink.
All in all, this product is designed poorly and it cooks terribly. Sharper Image invested all their money into advertising their product and by getting a famous chef to represent it. However, you can tell a product by their company; if the company is in ruins, they the products they stand behind will also be garbage. I hope nobody else makes the same mistake that I did because you will not be able to return it. Their customer service representatives are non-existent and their website is useless. Luckily, I was in a desperate need for a new garbage can in my office and the glass basin works marvelously as a recycling bin.
If you would like to see hilarious videos and images of foods that this oven made, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not buy this product unless you are looking for a nice, glass waste basket.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Superwave Oven
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "In October 2009 we decided to purchase a Maytag Bravos 850 series washer and dryer combo for approx. $1800. We figured investing in a "premium" set of appliances from..."
- "I'VE NEVER DROPED THIS DOME! I'VE CARED FOR IT SINCE PURCHASE. THE SPLITS IN THE DOME ARE FROM COOKING ONLY. I purchased my oven when you only received one for the..."
- "My Latest Experience with Sony Corporation of America Event # E58894537 Service Notification: 301547845 Order # 36065586 1. I own Sony’s Flagship SACD Player, the SCD-1, cost: $5,000.00. It should be mentioned, this player..."
- "Carl the manager does not care about his residential clients. After 2 weeks of saying my lawn was dead, the manager, Carl, finally came out. He told me..."
- "www.jbarrlaw.com - Attorney Joseph Barr, places his client at risk by outright theft of property which he refuses to return and failing to agree to stop distributing private information..."
- "I have commuted between Aurora and Chicago for many years and each year the schedules get more out of whack, the service declines and the delays become more frequent. Not..."
- "Do not buy from this company. I bought items on Oct 11th for my daughters birthday and I still have not received them.I have sent numerous emails and all I..."
- "On 14th November 2016 Elite Phones and Computers collected my Samsung Galaxy note 8 64g tablet by UPS. I was assured that they would be able to replace the motherboard..."
- "i had bought a proactiv plus 3 step kit, & since then i have been receiving a ridiculous amount of proactiv + larger kits and tbh i dont remeber signing..."